Why Should I Join a Synagogue?
Why do people join synagogues? Many people join a synagogue for a sense of community, a connection with like-minded people, learning opportunities, and spiritual expression. You’ll find that and more at Temple Israel of West Palm Beach!
Perhaps you already enjoy or are interested in sampling more of the myriad opportunities Temple Israel has to offer, including our musical Shabbat and holiday worship services, our “TI Learns” adult education offerings, special events and series featuring guest artists and speakers, intergenerational/family programs, social action/ social justice projects, and affinity groups that cater to our diverse temple family. At TI, “membership has its privileges” and we’re happy to make them available to you while welcoming you to our congregation.
Benefits of your Temple Israel membership include:
- The availability of our Rabbi to conduct meaningful life cycle events for your family.
- The privilege of pastoral care, including the counsel and support of our Rabbi in times of difficulty and bereavement, as well as during times of celebration.
- Complimentary tickets to our High Holy Days’ Worship Services.
- Eligibility for your child(ren) to enroll in our B’nai Mitzvah training program.
- Opportunity to purchase cemetery plots (at a significantly discounted price) within Temple Israel’s section at Star of David Memorial Park.
- Timely Yahrzeit notifications for any family members that have passed away.
- Subscription to our monthly newsletter, the Koleynu
- Subscription to our e-mail and “snail mail” communications so you can keep up with all the great things happening at TI.
- A musically-inspired congregation singing our prayers using a mix of traditional and modern melodies during our worship services, with an intentionally even mix of Hebrew and English so as to be as accessible and meaningful as possible for all who pray with us.
- Opportunities for Adult Education with our Rabbi and Rabbi Emeritus, as well as other area guest clergy/faculty, as well as access to our entire “TI Learns” catalogue which includes broader secular education courses (in the past, these courses have included topics such as art history, yoga, and hands-on art classes).
- Opportunities to personally raise your social justice voice through helping us serve dinner on Christmas to those in need at St. George’s Church in Riviera Beach, our monthly work at the WPB Food Pantry on Tamarind in WPB (which we helped found), ongoing projects with Alpert Jewish Family & Children’s Services, and other social justice causes.
- Membership in the Union for Reform Judaism, the organization of the Reform Movement in North America, which provides to each member a subscription to URJ’s quarterly magazine (“Reform Judaism Magazine”), discounted tuition to URJ Camps, and access to NFTY (the National Federation of Temple Youth) youth programs and educational and leadership opportunities for your teens and pre-teens.
- Access to TIWPTY, TIWPTY, Jr., Itty Bitty TIWPTY, and Chaverim, our youth group programs through NFTY.
- Annual Scholar-in-Residence programs, as well as active Sisterhood and Brotherhood groups.
- Access to Holiday Dinners and Celebrations, including our Yom Kippur Break-the-Fast and Second Night Passover Seder.
- A broad and eclectic group of passionate members who care deeply for our 90+ year-old progressive Reform congregation and who want to invite you to join them on their intergenerational and inclusive Jewish journeys.
Contact us today!
If you are considering becoming a part of our spirited progressive community, we’ve made it easy to join. Our Temple Administrator, Jennifer Green-Baer, is here to assist and happy to speak with you. Please contact her at (561) 833-8421, or by email at Jennifer at Temple-Israel.com.
We look forward to welcoming you as part of our Temple Israel family!